Saturday, January 27, 2007

Mr. Clean Magic Erasers

I have to admit that these babies do work some magic. I love these things but watch your kids with them. I was on a mom site a while back where there was a warning posted by one mommy and what it did to her little boy's face. It was so aweful! Check it out for yourself http://www.bloggingbaby.com/2006/11/03/household-cleaning-erasers-may-cause-chemical-burns/.
Let's start with what this suckers are made of. Melamine foam (formaldehyde-melamine-sodium bisulfite copolymer) is a crystalline chemical compound. It contains microporous properties that remove hard to remove things from smooth surfaces like crayon, markers, pen, nail polish on my wood floors and white molding, dirt and other great things that shouldn't be on my/your walls and hardwood floors! The microporous areas act like sandpaper but on a very small scale, getting into tiny grooves and pits in the subject being cleaned. These little suckers have really been there for me when I've needed them. Just don't leave your kids or your moms alone with them.

My mom will kill me for this entry but I have to write about her story she shared with me. The story of the little boy who burned his face really made me aware of the fact that I need to have them up high like all of my other cleaning agents. I even warned my friends who I raved and hooked magic eraser on. One person I did not warn once I found out was my mother. I mean, why would I warn her? She doesn't have little ones living with her and when the grand kids are over her house it's not like she's cleaning or anything. So I did not warn her and guess what hap pend? Yes, she burned her face!

My mother has this thing with her face. She blames her facial hair growth she has on her last child, which was a son. I'm not certain if there is proof to her theory but she feels that her last child, her son, created a surge of hormones in her body creating hair growth on her face. My last child was a boy and I do admit I've had an increase in hair growth not to mention an increase in smelly underarms and hair growth in various unwanted spots on my body, but you know that's another story. So with this all said let's take you to the point.

I was over their house one day in December and I visited with them for a while. Once they were walking me out to my car I saw my moms face in the sunlight and viewed a whole bunch of little scratches or patches on her face that could have passed for an outbreak of acne. I asked her what had happened and she told me she was under a lot of stress from a little flood they had in their house. Okay, granted, if I had a flood in my house and mold was growing because of it and my kitchen had to be gutted out I would probably be a bit stressed out too (just a little). So I believed her story, why wouldn't I. The truth came out though on New Year's day when we were sitting and talking and the subject came up about magic erasers and the burned little boy. My mom looked at me and told me that that's exactly what had happened to her. She apparently had a little facial hair breakdown and tried to magically erase her facial hair :) leading to facial burn!!! I could not believe this. I asked her why she didn't tell me truth and she just shared that she was embarrassed at the time. She's okay with it now and has gone in the direction of some cool hair removal contraption that she purchased.

So the point of this story is be careful of these wonder workers because they burn. Don't leave your kids or mom alone with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment