Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Little Monkey in Breech Position!!!!

So I know that I've been a little absent lately but I was hit by the nasty plague! You know that one going around? It's awful! I was first hit with a cold then a cough then the flu, mixed all together and it was horrible. I'm better now though so here I go with what's going on right now in Monkey land.
This week is my best friend's 36Th week of pregnancy. We're (her support team) are getting ready for this new little bundle. I have to admit that I am so excited...kind of like an aunt would be. This is new for me, not that I don't have nephews and nieces of my own but that it's a new road for her and I to go down. She has been there for me with my three little monkeys and now it's my turn and I'm so excited.
Well, this little monkey man (yes, it's a little boy) is in a breech position. This is very new for me because I never experienced this. She has been a bit concerned because she does not want a cesarean, or more like it would be nice for it to be the very last resort. Talking a bit about it to my sister she informed me that her last baby was in a breech position for a while and turned at around 38 weeks. I didn't know this little detail. I eagerly asked her for any advice because she is a "Home Birth Mama" and is very natural, she actually helps me with so much natural advice. She informed me of exercises that my BF can do and also other things her own friend had done. Here is some information and advice my sister gave me for breech babies as she was instructed by her midwife:

1. Take an exercise ball and sit on it with your feet flat on the floor and legs in a 90 degree angle. Sit up straight , resting against a wall and legs slightly opened is optional. This is helpful at opening up your pelvis helping baby with room to move. Lounging or laying down at this point is not okay. Sis said you must always use this ball to sit on. Also using the ball in a cat position , where you're on all fours and then place your upper torso on the ball and back legs on the floor rolling back and forth is recommended to help open up the pelvis.

2. Swimming was another recommendation. Now it's not just swimming that you're doing, you're actually going to do hand stands in the water for five repetitions.

3. Acupuncture was not something she told me but is something that I researched on the net and is supposed to be very effective.

4. Walking and exercise is on the net as well and something a mama should do when her baby is in breech position.

So this is what we've done this week, so far. On Monday we took a Step class and then I watched her get into the pool and do hand stands :) Today we walked on the treadmill and then got back into the pool (this time I went in with her) and she did hand stands while I held her legs up. I even massaged her belly while she was under water...or more like pressed gently down on the baby in the direction he needs to go in. Yeah, not so sure I know what I'm doing but I was just trying to wake him up and help him move while his Mommy was on her hands.
Tomorrow we will do Step again and back to the pool we'll go and Thursday the same thing. She has her Doctor appointment on Thursday so we'll do the best we can until then and on Friday she has her acupuncture appointment.

We're doing the best that we can but if you can recommend anything at all please pass on the knowledge.

Evie

No comments:

Post a Comment