Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Sun+Skin= A Painful Burn
The sun is officially here and it's the time of year we welcome it and all the fun that tags along. The beach, swimming parties, camping vacations, and not to mention amusement park visits are all coupled with bathing suits and barely there fashions exposing hidden skin we're so ready to drench in the sun.
I have to admit I am very ready to relax and soak in some rays. After the recent teaser,Memorial day weekend, I am very excited to start summer and have a little fun. So I wanted to mention SUNBLOCK!
What age is an appropriate age to lather those kiddos in protection? I just so happened to apply some on my first monkey princess when she was 7 months old (one month older then the recommended age) and she had a painful reaction. Her skin turned red and her eyes teared up. I felt like a horrible mommy after it occurred but just wanted to protect my baby's skin. After a quick washing off with mild soap she was all better and we made sure to place a good floppy hat on her head.
Researching the topic a bit I found this article on Sunblock and babies. Best bet is to just keep baby covered and a hat on. Their tiny body and sensitive skin may just not be ready for the chemical filled sunblocks a larger body can handle.
When protecting an older child (6 months and older) make sure to use a high SPF. Here's a natural brand of sun protection I found. Combine this with a great hat and you're set, but remember to reapply sunblock every 3-4 hours and keep little one out of the sun during high sun ray hours (12-4pm).
For Mommy and Daddy try Clarins sun protection (just mentioned on Oprah) and for hat protection (something I've been recently searching for) Hat attack offers a great floppy hat for women and for men check these out. A pair of cute sunglasses and good hair conditioner for mommy and you're set! Oh, make sure to protect your hair and scalp, especially those hair partings on your scalp, they will burn. Believe me, it's happened a couple of times to me and it's pretty painful not to mention embarrassing once your scalp starts peeling
:-( Gross.
Happy sun fun
Evie

No comments:

Post a Comment