Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Lumps

Tonight I was visiting fellow blogger sites. Motivated to spread the news on a topic posted on Mama Knows Breast- Breastfeeding Cuts Breast Cancer Risk, I wanted to give you the link so that you may educate yourself on this new Research Story.
Andi has a friend who is currently journaling her journey with breast cancer. Her journal includes when she finds out she has cancer, battling the Chemotherapy to loosing her precious hair. The way she handles each step is so heart moving.
Just as Kelly found a lump while nursing her little one , I too had/have a lump in my left breast that I found while nursing my first child eight years ago. I was immediately concerned about this lump. I went several times to the doctor for this lump in my breast but each time I was told that it was not common for a 23 year old, breastfeeding woman to have cancer. I was also told my breasts were/are fibrous and that I should not worry. For a while I've ignored the concern for this lump but I have been checking in from time to time just to see if it has grown. Again, I'm concerned. So far she has stayed the same size but getting checked would probably be the best thing to do, don't you think?
This story has motivated me to go back to my doctor to get it checked out again. Having lived with Alopecia as a child my worst fear is loosing my hair, as it is I don't have eyebrows because of it so when I was little being bald and eyebrowless, many people always asked my mom if I had cancer. Does this sound shallow or what? I mean who cares about this-Hair loss? Overall the average person would primarily think of CANCER first, but me HAIR LOSS! After reading Kelly's story I am humbled and feel ashamed for these emotions. Her strength-inspirational, her personality through all she has journaled-motivating, my prayers go out to Kelly and her family.
I am so glad I read this tonight and promise to make my appointment tomorrow to see my doctor on this lump in my breast. I also ask for you to spread the news on cancer and the connection of breastfeeding reducing the risk in women.

Evie

No comments:

Post a Comment