Tuesday, December 26, 2006

To Cover or NOT to Cover.....that's the question

Recently I wrote to Micky and http://mochamilk.blogspot.com/ and told her that I loved her blog and her mission to help spread the news to mothers about breastfeeding awarness and support. You see, Micky is especially concerned with educating and helping in the breastfeeding movement in the African-American communities. I really feel the same about my own hispanic community here in San Diego and all over.
Minority women all over our country are in the low numbers when it comes to breastfeeding. This to me just sounds so backwords. If breastfeeding gives better health to mommy and baby, costs absolutely nothing, helps our environment and is just really convenient then why is this so? I believe this is and will continue to be researched and with the knowlege we will be able to tackle the challenges. Until then I'm with Micky on wanting to help women with this subject and making it my mission to help spread the word on this wonderful gift we can give our children.
Micky was wonderful to mention my nursing cover on her blog and discussed her mixed emotions on the subject of covering while breastfeeding. If you have read my blog before then you'll read a repetition of my words that I really believe that this has to be the choice of the mother. We are all so very different. We have been raised differently with different religious backgrounds, different cultures, and experiences that have shaped us as well. I know this because I was one of those nursing mamas that needed to be covered while nursing. I can not blame it on just one thing for the reason that I need to cover while nursing. I can only say that I am one that just feels the need to be modest while doing so.
For women that may feel the need to argue or acuse a woman like myself that I am ashamed of myself or my body I can only say that I don't feel ashamed of my body or myself. I really feel okay with my decision to be modest and I also respect those that choose to not use a cover while nursing. It never has been an issue for me that I choose to cover while nursing, it only became one once I ventured out with my business and discovered so many diverse opinions and strong feelings on the subject. I feel that we need to stop the groups we women place ourselves in and just suport one another. The subject of breastfeeding needs support no matter which way a woman chooses to do it, afterall it's about the baby eating and that need to remain the focus.

Evie

No comments:

Post a Comment