Tuesday, December 12, 2006

EPIDURALS

I was sent a email the other day from my sister on epidurals being linked to breastfeeding difficulties. It's amazing how fast news travels because by today it's everywhere. Well, I personally gave birth to my three children MOSTLY medication free. My first baby was a 17 hour laboring experience as most first babies are. Once the pain set in my husband and I were very adamant that we were not going to take medication until we started getting tired. I did have a lot of pressure to take medication from the nurses where I delivered and after a uncomfortable confrontation between a nurse fighting for women's rights (she really wanted me to get the epidural) and my poor husband trying to follow through with my orders we buckled and had 2 shots of Demerol. The first shot really took the edge off the pain and allowed me to relax mentally, the second shot was all in my head. I felt light headed while experiencing a horrible contraction. After the second shot I refused anymore medication. I labored a while longer and then pushed out my beautiful baby girl. I was so concerned that she was pretty doped up although she passed all tests fine. The one thing I can say though was her want to sleep and my difficulty keeping her awake to nurse. The whole first week was crying and sleeping, crying and sleeping and then my breasts were on fire from engorgement and inconsistent feedings. I can say that the experience was completely different with the next two medication free babies. These next two came out ready to eat a full course meal. They were very alert and always ready to eat after napping a bit.
This is what is stated in the research conducted in Australia on 1300 women stated at News Target.com. Strong evidence indicates that the component Fentanyl in epidurals may be associated with sleepy infants which makes it difficult to establish breastfeeding. My pediatrician had her directions ready when I told her my first born was falling asleep at the breast, she simply said to undress her and take a cold washcloth to her head if she persisted to sleep. Yeah, that did the trick plus pissed off my infant leading to horrible crying spats. It was so hard...... can you tell?
One thing that helped me succeed at breastfeeding was a support team to answer my questions and help me along the first transitioning months. I also changed the location of giving birth! Lastly, I read up on natural chidbirthing, took private classes and successfully gave birth tow my next two children med. free. This was just the way I wanted to do it and I don't want to put down others for choosing medication because we all deal with pain differently. The good thing about this research is that it does stress the issue that more support is needed after childbirth, more classes, resources, private in home lactation consultations, and also gives the mother that knows she will choose the epidural during labor the knowledge that her breastfeeding experience may be difficult and to set up her support system and breastfeeding plan prior to childbirth.
Research and knowledge is great!

Evie

No comments:

Post a Comment