Thursday, October 05, 2006

Post Partum Contractions

So you delivered your precious baby and you think that the contractions should be over with? Well, not exactly. Our body has a way to get our over stretched uteruses back into pre-pregnancy shape...it's called contracting. Contracting to get rid of a foreign, oversized melon ball to contacting back into regular shape to get ready to hold another foreign object. :) The shrinking of your uterus can cause contractions that worsen when your baby nurses or when you take medication (Pitocin) to reduce bleeding.

Right after you deliver you're observed by your nursing team. They want to get you to the postpartum floor to heal as soon as you're ready. My nursing team was very concerned after baby #2 was delivered to get me to the bathroom because they felt my bladder was very full. I was not ready and really would not have cared if the darn thing filled up and exploded. I did not want to get up to go to the bathroom at all. I felt no sensation to go nor did I feel like getting up to walk to it. Right as I was getting up to go, on came on this horrible contraction that led to a dosage of Pitocin. This contraction was the worse ever and I needed my hubby to help me breathe through them all over again.. Not Fair, my baby was over on a table being examined and I was going through contractions again! All ended up being okay but I want to share with you that you probably will go through contractions afterwards and during breastfeeding for about a week or so. Don't worry, the pain fades with every day that passes and with Tylenol. Hey, maybe you won't go through this at all. I didn't with my first born. My sister tells me it gets worse as you have more children!!! That's all you have to tell me and I'm scared :(
Remember TYLENOL!

Evie

No comments:

Post a Comment