Thursday, March 15, 2007

Helping the New Breastfeeding Mommy


My best friend had her baby on February 11Th. I went to her baby shower the day prior and she had asked me what contractions felt like. I explained a bit and then she said she felt cramping. The day went on and just by glancing at her you could tell she was experiencing discomfort. With my own experience this could go on for days. I left a little later and told her to call me the next day.
She was scheduled to have a Cesarean due to the baby being breached later that week but Sunday, Feb. 11Th, was the his natural birthday. Her water broke very early that morning and once at the hospital they got ready for her and performed the surgery. I missed it all because I was at a baptism and forgot my purse at home! I cried a lot that day. He's beautiful and now officially a month old.
Although I missed the birth I did make it to the hospital later that day and stayed a while with her and her family. When I arrived the baby was in the nursery. When she started to worry a bit about the length of time he had been gone she decided to call her nurse and told them to bring her the baby. They listened to her wishes.....a good thing! When he was rolled into the room he came in bundled like a little burrito. Just beautiful, it actually made me feel like having another one but I think three is good right now :-)
She decided to start nursing him again but he was very sleepy. By the time I left his suction was growing stronger. She asked me when I would be back and I told her I would be back in the morning. This pushed me to go home and read up on Cesarean births and related issues on breastfeeding.
The next day they were both doing very good and his suction was better than the day before. He was very sleepy but expected from a Cesarean baby. His latch on was good too and she was making sure to latch the baby on correctly by making sure he opened wide and placed her finger in there and retired if it was a bad latch. This woman is the poster mama for breastfeeding and I made sure to tell her too. I'm just a little jealous :-)
Once she was home and after going to her first pediatric visit the doctor informed her that the baby need to latch better, that her had lost a lot and that he was jaundiced. This was something I had experienced with my first baby as well. It scared her a bit and she made appointments with a lactation consultant that helped her with her issues.
One thing that also helped her through her breastfeeding challenges was the La Leche Book "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding". This is a great book and I recommend it to all expectant mommies that are very adamant to breastfeed.
She is now almost 5 weeks postpartum and doing great. I told her my own secret of counting down each day when it gets challenging. 5 weeks has gone by very fast for me but I know when you're the one transitioning it can be hard. Counting down helps you to pat yourself on the back and realize hat you are one day more into giving the very best nutrition to your baby.

Until next time,
Evie

No comments:

Post a Comment